22 Eylül 2012 Cumartesi

Sew & Tell with Christopher Straub -- Sept. 10 Edition

Christopher during his video shoot for our Sew Unique Contest
Thank you for taking the time to post questions for designer Christopher Straub last week -- we asked him to pick his five favorites to answer, and he picked 11!

Be sure to stop by our Facebook page Sept. 18 for another chance to ask Christopher your questions! Find him on Facebook here.


Shelly Millikan-Kleve I have heard of designers who have a hard time making clothes for fuller sized women. Do you know why this is?
Christopher: Well, I can only speak for myself when I say that I have dressed everyone including missy, junior, petite, children, maternity, plus, and men.  So when it comes to why other designers have reservations about fuller figured designs, all I can say is that I cannot relate to their thinking. :0) I will attest to the fact that I still have not mastered the fit on a big bust. Still working on it, though. 

 Mary Beck My husband's jeans, dress pants, etc. need to be shortened, I have the sewing machine to do it. However, I'm not sure the best way to measure pants, so the inseam is long enough, but not trailing in the dirt on the back or bunched up, funny looking in the front. Help please.
Christopher: Here's what I do...have him put on the pants AND the shoes. Then, turn any extra length to the inside and pin.  Have him walk and see if there is any drag or if too high. Readjust pins, as necessary, and sew when it all looks perfect. GOOD LUCK!

 Rebekah Alureah Burble Smith Do you use patterns or does an image come to your mind and you just design from it? (because that's what I do, I can't use patterns)
Christopher: I like to start with the design that comes into my head and then try to work out all the details that will go into making my sketch into reality. 

 Phyllis M Lampe Blackwelder when creating all these beautiful dresses with all those flouncy ruffles what product do you use to keep the material from going all crazy on you when either cutting your pieces or sewing them together, starch?
Christopher: HAHA!  I wish I could say that I have a method but I just, repeatedly, find myself buried in ruffles.  I don't use starch because I want the fabric to remain fluid.

 Rebecca Sims Caplinger WHEN YOUR MAKING CUSTOMIZED CLOTHING, WHAT IS THE INTIMIDATING PART OF THE PROCEDURE FOR YOU? I make custom items
Christopher: The most intimidating part, for me, is that the client might not agree with your design and then they want to make a lot of changes.  You see this ALL the time on Project Runway.  Sometimes your customer is just looking for a tailor to recreate other designers' work...and I don't do that.  :0)

 Shannon Smith What is the best way to draw the eye away from areas of the body that aren't your favorite area (extra full hips, etc)? Frills? Color?
Christopher: What I always ask my private clients is "What parts of your body do you want to maximize and what parts you you want to minimize?" That way, you know where to put volume, accessories, or busy prints. Examples: If you have larger bust ... draw attention to your waist or legs. If you have larger hips then wear a ruffled top or add a statement necklace ... or wear sexy, eye-catching heels. Either way, love your body and wear what makes you comfortable. Confidence is ALWAYS in style and goes with every body-type. 

 Carolina Galindo What is the best material to use for dresses?
Christopher: This really depends on the type of dress that you are wanting to create. If you want a flowy look use lightweight fabrics like chiffon and organza. If you want a more structured dress you can use brocades or or other heavy wovens. Form-fitting and casual dresses call for stretch fabrics like jersey and sweater knits. 

 Tiffany Arrington like many others I wish to become a designer but I can't afforded to go to college . what could I do or where should I look to teach myself the tricks if the trade ?
Christopher: I'm a self-taught designer and didn't go to school. Being a hands-on learner, I've just kept teaching myself new tricks while getting a grasp on the fundamentals.

 Lacie Dotson What is your favorite thing to design
Christopher: I LOVE doing artful, special occasion dresses. I'm able to have a lot more fun with them. 

 Cheryl Campbell R there any two fabrics that u would not use together in a garment?
Christopher: mixing knits and women's in one garment almost never works out.  Best to stick to one or the other. 

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder